2018 Candidate Information

Quick Links - Who Can RunAppointment of Scrutineer, Candidates Guide, Campaign Spending limits, Campaign Signs

Candidates Guide

Use of Corporation Resources

By-law 43-2018 - Regulate the placement of Federal, Provincial and Municipal Election Signs

Nomination Form - Form 1

Endorsement of Nomination - Form 2

So You Want to Run for Council?

School Board Trustee Elections - Making a Difference for Kids 

Campaign Finance Sessions - Please click here for upcoming dates

Who Can Run?

Nominations for the 2018 municipal and school board elections are open from Tuesday, May 1, 2018 to Friday, July 27, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.

To qualify as a candidate you must meet all of the following conditions:

  • a Canadian citizen
  • at least 18 years old
  • a resident of the City of Thorold or a non-resident of Thorold but you or your spouse own or rent property in the City
  • not otherwise prohibited under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 or by law.

To run for the Office of the Mayor, Councillor, Regional Chair or School Board Trustee for the 2018 Municipal Election, you must file a nomination paper.  Until you file a nomination paper, you cannot raise or spend money on your campaign.  You must provide at least 25 endorsements for eligible electors in the City of Thorold with your nomination for Office on Council.

The nomination filing fee is $200.00 to run for Mayor and $100.00 for all other offices.  For information on the filing fee to run for Regional Chair please contact the Region of Niagara.

Nominations for the Offices of City of Thorold Mayor, Councillor and School Board Trustee will be accepted at the City Clerk's Department, 3540 Schmon Parkway, Thorold ON.

Nominations for Regional Chair will only be accepted at the Niagara Region Offices.  For information on running for the Regional Chair, please contact the Niagara Region at 905-980-6000 ext. 3720 or 3296 or call toll free 1-800-263-7215.

For more information, please see Eligibility to Run.

Updated Guides and Forms will be posted at the beginning of April 2018.

Appointment of Scrutineer

A scrutineer is a candidate's representative who observes the voting process at a voting location.

To appoint a scrutineer, candidates must complete the Appointment of Scrutineer Form.  The appointment form must be filled out by the candidate prior to a Scrutineer entering a voting location to observe the voting process.  The Scrutineer must show the form at every voting location.

Candidate's Guide

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs has produced a Candidate's Guide to provide information to candidates in municipal and school board elections.

Campaign Spending Limits

Campaign spending limits will be available on May 1, 2018.

Candidates are not allowed to spend money to campaign or ask for or accept contributions before filing nomination papers.

Campaign Signs

There are rules governing the use and placement of campaign signs.  A new campaign sign by-law will be coming forward shortly, please look back regularly for updates.

Broadcaster/Publisher Information Sheet (Candidate)