Drinking Water Quality
Drinking Water Quality Reports and Analysis
The Ontario government has enacted a new drinking water regulation under the Safe Drinking Water Act, 2002. These changes were designed to safeguard the quality of Ontario’s drinking water, while making the regulatory requirements more workable and affordable for owners and operators of municipal and non-municipal drinking water systems.
Ontario’s Drinking Water Systems Regulation 170/03, made under the Safe Drinking Water Act, 2002, governs the operation of municipal drinking water systems. This regulation provides specific requirements that municipalities must adhere to in the operations of these systems, including: water system operational checks, water quality sampling/testing and reporting and corrective action requirements. The City of Thorold owns and operates two drinking water systems that fall under this regulation:
- Thorold Decew Distribution System (No. 220004313)
- Thorold Port Robinson System (No. 260049582)
In accordance with Section 11 (1) of Ontario’s regulation 170/03, the owner of a drinking water system shall ensure that an annual report is prepared in accordance with the requirements of Section 11.
The annual report must be:
• Given without charge to every person who requests a copy. Effective steps must be taken to advise users of the system that copies of the report are available and how they can be obtained.
• Posted to the municipality’s web site if the drinking water system is a large municipal residential system serving more than 10,000 people.
• Given to the owner of any other drinking water system that is connected to and receiving all of its drinking water from the system that is the subject of the annual report.
Copies of the Annual Report can be obtained at the Operations Department located at 1543 Beaverdams Road, in Thorold, free of charge. Copies are also posted at the Thorold Public Library, Thorold City Hall, and at the Operations Department.
The Annual Report and all Drinking Water Sample Results are also made available on the City’s website, which can be found below.